CPOW: Soils Course – Larimer County
09/16/2020 @ 8:00 am - 09/17/2020 @ 5:00 pm
Colorado Soil and Site Evaluation Course
This course is designed to meet the requirements of the Section 43.5.I.2.b of Regulation #43 for a Competent Technician. Passing the course examination will demonstrate competency in the visual and tactile evaluation of soil. Certificates of Competency will be provided to participants that pass this exam.
Day one of the course is primarily classroom instruction on the items noted below, along with a “hands-on” exercise where participants hand texture pre-determined samples of all soil types. Day 2 includes a field component, where participants will learn to apply the site evaluation principles learned from day one.
Day one includes:
- Basic Principles of On-Site Wastewater Treatment (OWTS) siting and design
- Regulation specific requirements for conducting preliminary and field site investigations with “real world” examples
- Basic geology and soil formation processes
- Percolation test methods
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) soils classification system
- Relationship between soil types and movement & treatment of effluent
- Basics of how to identify limiting layers and high rock content (Type R soils)
- Hands-on soil texturing
Day two includes:
- Preview of field site
- Site visit and test pit evaluation
- Re-cap of site visit
- Review and Q&A
Upon successful completion of the course, you will gain competency in the following activities:
- Principles of OWTS siting and design
- soil types by hand texturing and observation
- Soil structure
- Limiting layers
- Determining the most promising location for the soil treatment area infiltrative surface
Certificates of Competency will be provided to participants that pass this exam.
The instructors for this course will be:
Warren Brown, P.E.
Public Health Engineer
Tri County Health Department
Roy Laws, P.E.
Jefferson County Public Health
Environmental Health Services Division
Class will be held Wednesday, September 16 from 8am-5pm, and Thursday September 17 from 8am-5pm
Bagels, doughnuts, coffee & tea in the morning, and lunch will be provided.
Click HERE to register for this class or email Lisa Nicoll at email@example.com with your Name, Company Name, Mailing Address and Telephone Number.
You must have a current 2020 CPOW membership to receive member pricing.